MONITORING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF CITIZEN/ STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT AND INCLUSION OF MARGINALIZED/ VULNERABLE GROUPS IN A WORLD BANK-FINANCED PROJECT: – Malawi COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project (P173806
Districts : Salima and Chikwawa
Donor : World Bank
Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation in collaboration with Accountability Research Center and Bank Information Center, conducted monitoring of citizen/stakeholder engagement and inclusion of marginalized/vulnerable groups to what extent the commitments to involve citizens, marginalized/vulnerable groups and other stakeholders are being implemented in the Malawi COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems preparedness project that is being funded by the World Bank.
CHRR conducted several meetings with key stakeholders at national level, district level and community level. CHRR also considered assessment of priority areas of the world bank’s citizen engagement strategy.
The major findings from the research, based on consultations with community members were as follows:
- Inadequate expertise at community level to relay COVID-19 messages to persons with disabilities, particularly those with hearing impairment and people who are blind. As for people with physical disability, it is difficult to practice personal hygiene, due to lack of access to wheelchairs.
- Lack of a feedback mechanism platform and awareness amongst community members on such platforms.
- Lack of means of transportation for community committee to relay COVID-19 messages in remote areas.
- Lack of support towards the elderly and PLWHA due to limited availability of personal protective equipment and essential nutritional support.
Prescribed and implemented recommendations from World Bank were as follows:
- Orientation of community members on citizen engagement, to enhance their participation in project preparation and implementation was conducted.
- More efforts towards relaying COVID-19 messages to Persons with disabilities through visual aids, braille and utilizing sign language experts to relay these messages were undertaken.
- Communities set up functional feedback mechanisms that area inclusive and easily understood by all community members.